High precision satellite positioning - what is the difference between GNSS and GPS

At present, we often see the word GPS on cell phones and cars, leading many people to misunderstand: Didn t our country s Beidou launch into the sky, wasn t the...

Aug 18,2022 | Estelle

gps gnss module

At present, we often see the word GPS on cell phones and cars, leading many people to misunderstand: Didn't our country's Beidou launch into the sky, wasn't the network successfully formed, how come we are still using GPS now, how can I use Beidou, do I need gps gnss moduleto install any APP?

Introduction of GNSS

In fact, the above are all misunderstandings. At present, the satellite navigation functions of cell phones and vehicles basically support BeiDou, but because GPS is the earliest in the United States, the satellite navigation functions of cell phones or vehicles are still habitually GPS, in a strict sense, these satellite navigation functions should be called GNSS positioning. For the classification of GNSS, please refer to the following chart.

The global satellite positioning systems are GPS of the U.S., Compass of China, GLONASS of Russia and Galileo of the European Union, as well as regional navigation systems such as Quasi-Zenith (QZSS) of Japan and IRNSS of India, augmented systems such as WAAS of the U.S., MSAS of Japan, EGNOS of the European Union, GAGAN of India and NIG-GOMSAT of Nigeria. NIG-GOMSAT-1, etc.

In the civil field, the above positioning systems are open and available to everyone. In military and special fields, single BeiDou system is generally used.

At present, most cell phones and in-vehicle devices basically support GPS and Beidou-2 satellites. At present, new cell phones and in-vehicle devices basically support Beidou-3 satellites. But for GLONASS and Galileo are not necessarily supported. Japan's Quasi-Zenith (QZSS) is fully compatible with GPS, which is equivalent to supplementing GPS with a few stars, and mainly operates over Japan and Australia. Not many cell phones and in-vehicle devices currently support India's IRNSS.

About the support of Beidou

The support of cell phones or in-car devices for each GNSS satellite system depends on the RF and baseband parts of the satellite used in the underlying hardware. For cell phones or devices that support Beidou, the cell phone or device manufacturers have developed drivers and algorithms related to Beidou, so ordinary users cannot perceive the existence of Beidou, and the satellite positioning function already uses Beidou satellites. Android users can download the software Cellular-Z and see the satellites that the phone can receive through the visual interface.

Related Hot Topic

What about GLONASS?

GLONASS. The Russian Federation owns and manages the Global Navigation Satellite System, also known as GLONASS (Globalnaya Navigazionnaya Sputnikovaya Sistema).

Does GPS form part of GNSS?

GNSS often comprises constellation systems like GPS, GLONASS, Baidu, Galileo, and many others. So keep in mind that when you use GNSS, you are employing both satellite constellation systems and all currently operational satellites for locating.

GNSS: What does it mean?

Global satellite positioning systems are collectively referred to as GNSS, or global navigation satellite system. The most popular GNSS system in use today is GPS, which was first created for military usage but is now available to civilians.

TCP or UDP is used by GPS?

REMARK: The TCP and UDP protocols can be used to send data by practically any GPS device. Although TCP connections use slightly more bandwidth and have a slightly higher overhead than UDP connections, they are much more reliable for data transfers. Data can be transferred using the UDP protocol, as I previously mentioned.

More Articles

Using insecticides to repel mosquitoes and keeping your pets safe: some advice
Using insecticides to repel mosquitoes and keeping your pets safe: some advice

In addition to annoying us, mosquitoes may be dangerous to our cherished pets. Diseases like heartworm,household insecticide...

mosquito insecticide insecticide supplier

What impact does manufactured sand have on the concrete's durability characteristics?
What impact does manufactured sand have on the concrete's durability characteris...

What impact does manufactured sand have on the concrete s durability characteristics?The test findings show that the penetra...

The technical characteristics of the cloud storage architecture and three development directions
The technical characteristics of the cloud storage architecture and three develo...

Cloud storage concept As the name suggests, cloud storage is a solution that provides storage services on the cloud and sto...

Can water be purified by a water dispenser?
Can water be purified by a water dispenser?

Can water be purified by a water dispenser?These appliances typically dispense water that hasn t been treated or filtered, s...

Composting biodegradable plastics can control plastic pollution.
Composting biodegradable plastics can control plastic pollution.

Plastic is an important basic material that can be found everywhere in our lives, but its unregulated use can put some press...

Will a VPS speed up my website?
Will a VPS speed up my website?

Will a VPS speed up my website?How Does a vps server Affect the Speed of a Website to Load? VPS servers have the potential t...

Talking about the role of degradable lunch box wholesale in society.
Talking about the role of degradable lunch box wholesale in society.

The improvement of the level of human civilization construction eco friendly utensils and the economic living conditions of ...

Why am I no longer able to add songs to iTunes?
Why am I no longer able to add songs to iTunes?

Why am I no longer able to add songs to iTunes?At the moment, iTunes only permits the import of music in the MP3, AIFF, WAV,...